Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Derailed


Last night I attended a class on derailer installation, tuning, and maintenance put on by the local bike co-op. All in all it's a pretty ingenious design but the more I learned about it the more complicated it sounded and the more I began to understand the appeal of the simplicity of the fixie. I also found it ironic that I went to learn about derailers at a shop where maybe half of the people who show up regularly are on bikes without them.

I can't wait to try my new skills with my own bike. It needs a quite a bit of work to get everything going smoothly. Luckily one of the hardest parts (making sure all the components are designed to work together) is already taken care of.

You can learn about derailers for yourself here.

derailer FAIL pic curtosy of theoelliot

No comments: